Sunday, 28 June 2015

Unconditional Love - A Journal of my thought's towards Gay Marriage
13:11

Unconditional Love - A Journal of my thought's towards Gay Marriage

UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. 

Here's something that I've noticed over the last few year. Despite the efforts of the Church to block any agenda that's passed through the Courts to allow Gay Marriage (Whether here in the UK, or abroad as recently seen the US), the simple fact of the matter is, we've lost. No one wants to say it. No one wants to admit it. But the efforts to prevent equal rights for the LGBT community, have failed. 

If I'm honest, I cannot sit here, writing this, and say I'm grieved, and it might not be for the reasons that you'd think. I'd like to explain why. If you're upset, angry, even offended by the recent development in the US that legalized Gay Marriage, i'd like you to read on. If you're for Gay Rights, I'd like you to read on. To be honest, I feel like this is something I'd just like the world to hear. 

We live in an ever growing, highly diverse, fantastically multicultural planet. I love it, I love sharing and debating, and being influenced by those who I don't agree with. This is the first point i'd like to make.

Those you disagree with are just as valuable as you, and you can learn more from them then those you agree with.

 You see it's an attitude that we all hold sometimes, and it's a dangerous one. It say's, we do not agree, therefore you're point has no value, and I cannot learn anything from it. I'm just as guilty as anyone else at this. In fact, there will be people reading this now, who I've done this too. I've learned the value of those I disagree with the hard way. Years of arrogance now fall into a total admiration for those that are willing to stand and say "I disagree". You're more likely to be taught, and mentored, by those who disagree with you. However, and this is what I think we are missing at the moment, there's a way of doing it. 

As a Church, As a Planet, We are obligated to Call out the Value and Worth in others, even if we disagree.

I struggle to see how people can miss this in the Bible. Jesus, goes to the cross and goes and shatters hell unconditionally for you and me. Now let me rephrase that, Jesus, unconditionally, goes to the cross, and goes and shatters hell, for the last gay couple that just got married. Why? Worth and Value, should be what we focus on. Yes, if you are in the spiritual authority to call out those around you, do so. But always out of a place of calling them to a position of worth and identity. Jesus knew that some wouldn't follow him, yet he loved them so much, that he did it anyway. What Love is so scandalous, that despite us not even caring about him, he would still make a way? Church we are obligated to follow in Jesus' footsteps. In every issue that we tackle. 

It's okay to disagree, I love that we don't agree on everything. Even in the Church there are huge disagreements, Calvinism, Yes or No? I guess my cry and my prayer for everyone, is that we would become more unconditional in how we see the Value and Worth in other cultures, beliefs and Orientations, rather than being so sure in ourselves, that we have to be right all the time, and therefore miss what we could have.

So why aren't I upset about the Ruling in the US? I was reminded today how God uses everything for Good. Maybe, just maybe, this is what we need. A jolt to the system, a wake up call. I'm excited to see how God uses this to bring us closer together as a community. I'm excited to see how the community grows, and how Revival comes through this. That's always his plan after all. 

Father, Thank you that despite the differences that divide us, there's no space between you and I. There's no distance between you and us. The veil is torn, and you are so good. Bring your peace, and bring your Joy to those who are unable to see the Value and Worth in others, highlight how you see them, and how precious you are to them in your sight. Bring unity and identity. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment